General Requirements for Sworn Officer Position
You must have a high school diploma or GED, and include one of the following;
- 30 semester hours of credit from a regionally accredited college.
- Two years of full-time law enforcement experience.
- Two years of full-time military experience with an honorable discharge.
*** If you are a self-sponsored graduate of a TCOLE-Certified Police Academy and you currently have a TCOLE certificate (Police) in good standings. We may waiver the college credit requirement needed on a case-by-case basis. ***
You must be a U.S. citizen at the time of your application.
You must be 21 years of age at the time of the entrance exam. There is no maximum age limitation.
- must be able to pass a physical examination and drug screen.
Good moral character
- The character attributes of a prospective employee that embodies the moral character required to perform the duties of a police officer; a character formed on a history of honesty, fairness, integrity, and respect for the rights of others and for state and federal law.
You must meet all legal requirements for future licensing and certification by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). For a complete listing of the state's licensing requirements please visit TCOLE at www.tcole.texas.gov.