These guidelines are to be followed when a building, or facility, within the City of Celina, provided with a required fire protection system is out of service. In addition, any other time a fire watch has been required by the Fire Chief or Fire Marshal. Fire Watches for the purposes of these guidelines and any other requirements of the Fire Department shall conform to the 2018 International Fire Code, as adopted and amended by the City of Celina.
FEE $50.00 per hour for a minimum of four hours is charged for each required fire watch personnel, when it is determined by the Fire Department that Standby Personnel are necessary.
Fire Watch - A temporary measure intended to ensure continuous and systematic surveillance of a building or portion thereof by one or more qualified individuals or standby personnel when required by the fire code official, for the purposes of identifying and controlling fire hazards, detecting early signs of unwanted fire, raising an alarm of fire and notifying the fire department.
Standby Personnel - Qualified fire service personnel, approved by the Fire Chief. When utilized, the number required shall be as directed by the Fire Chief.
General Fire Watch Requirements
1) Upon determination that a required fire protection system is rendered inoperable or its continued operation is questionable, the Celina Fire Department shall be notified immediately. It shall be the responsibility of the Fire Chief and/or Fire Marshal to determine the level of protection required and prescribes such actions necessary to secure public safety and timely restoration of the required fire protection system.
2) Where required by the fire department, an approved fire watch shall be provided until the fire protection system has been returned to service.
3) Persons providing fire watch shall be provided with at least one approved means for notification of the fire department and their only duty shall be to perform constant patrols of the protected premises and keep watch for fires.
4) A fee of $40.00 per hour for a minimum of two hours is charged for each required fire watch personnel, when it is determined by the Fire Department that Standby Personnel are necessary.
5) A representative of the building, or facility, shall contact the Fire Marshal’s Office a minimum of 72 hours prior to a planned impairment, or immediately when impairment is not planned, to coordinate personnel for the Fire Watch.
Fire Watch Log
1) When required, the Fire Watch Log form shall be completed at the time intervals required by the Fire Chief or Fire Marshal.
2) Upon completion of repairs to the fire protection system and termination of the Fire Watch, a copy of this log shall be faxed or delivered to the Fire Marshal’s office.
Fire Watch Personnel Duties
1) The personnel assigned to Fire Watch Duties shall meet the following criteria:
a) Shall sign the Notification of Fire Watch Responsibilities Form.
b) Shall not be required or permitted to perform any other duties.
c) Shall tour all the compromised area(s) of the building at intervals specified in the Fire Watch order.
d) Shall be physically capable of performing the duties of a Fire Watch
Fire Watch Personnel Duties (continued)
e) Have means of summoning the Fire Department if a fire is discovered – cellular telephone, portable radio, etc.
f) Shall be familiar with the layout and arrangement of the building being toured
g) Shall have any and all keys necessary to properly and effectively check all affected areas of the building, and admit the emergency responders
h) Shall be familiar with the Fire Alarm system and how to activate it
i) Shall be familiar with the location and use of portable fire extinguishers
j) Shall be familiar with the exits from the area he/she is touring
k) Shall remain awake and alert for the entire period he is expected to provide such services
l) Shall be familiar with the procedures to be followed if a fire is discovered, and the methods of notification of building occupants
Termination of Fire Watch
1) Fire Watch shall ONLY be terminated by the Fire Chief or Fire Marshal, upon restoration of the Fire Protection System and certification that it is now 100% operational. The Fire Watch Log shall be completed, including the names of those performing such duties, and the name of the person who authorized the termination of same. A copy of the entire Fire Watch Log, Notification of Fire Watch Responsibilities Form from each person assigned to fire watch, and documentation reflecting that the required fire protection system has been restored must be forwarded to the Celina Fire Department. Faxed to 972-382-8577, or delivered in person to 1413 S Preston Road, Celina, Texas 75009.
Any questions should be directed to email@example.com.