The Celina Fire Department was established in 1912 consisting of residents of the City of Celina and the surrounding area. Originally, the fire station was in back of what is now the Main Street Office at 302 W. Walnut Street. The department purchased its first new fire engine in 1939, which it still owns. At present, the department has two Pierce Engines, two brush trucks, 2 ambulances and a chief’s vehicle.
In December of 2001 the first full time fire fighter was hired by the City in the capacity of Fire Chief, and in December of 2004 a second firefighter was employed. At present, the Department has a full time Fire Chief/Fire Marshal, an Operations/EMS Chief, 1 Fire Inspector, 3 Fire Shift Officers and 7 firefighter/paramedics. The Celina Fire Department is currently a combination department that also utilizes volunteer firefighters. These volunteers are men and women that give of their time and talents to the city of Celina and its residents.
On December 1, 2007, the Department initiated its own EMS service. Five firefighter/medics were hired to provide a paramedic and EMT on shift 24/7. Additionally, the fire department is also responsible for emergency management for the city.
The fire district for the Celina Fire Department consists of approximately 80 square miles. These boundaries cover parts of Collin and Denton counties. The Celina Fire Department has mutual aid agreements in place with all its surrounding cities.
In August 2015, the City of Celina Fire Department opened Fire Station 1 at 1413 S. Preston Rd. in Celina. This building gives emergency responders excellent access to Preston Road and has reduced the response times to many parts of the city. Celina is on the verge of becoming one of the larger cities in the D/FW metroplex and eventually there will be many fire stations in Celina.